0

Our Little Shaunie

This is my first post in a month... Thank you, Mikey for keeping up with the blog! So as you all know, Shaun Daniel Cronin was born on Friday, July 27, 2012 at 3:27pm. He was born via c-section and it was the worst of my 3 deliveries. I sat for days at the hospital waiting for labor to kick up. Shaun at that point was 9 days late and was estimated to be well over 9 lbs. A doctor (not my doctor) came in and within the first 2 minutes of me meeting him told me that I was having a c-section... Even after giving birth vaginally to the other two. I was in tears... I pleaded, I waited... but apparently the theory is that he was too big to move down and kick start active labor. And the doctor wasn't going to induce me. So even though I was having contractions for weeks, they weren't strong enough to push my big, fat Shaunie out.

Ironically, the morning of the c-section I had the most intense labor pains and for the first time since the pregnancy and this time they didn't stop. The continued for hours and became worse and worse. I was distraught and tried to cancel the cesarean scheduled for later that day. But by this point my water had broken over 24 hours ago and time was not on my side. Plus I was still only 2 cm dilated. So there I went in crying to my c-section, contracting the whole time. Then after the morphine everything was awesome!

Despite all that crappy crap, I got the most beautiful baby in the whole world (one of the 3 most beautiful babies). Shaun was born 9 lbs. 2 oz. with those inky, dark blue newborn eyes that most newies have and a head of dark hair. His dark hair is already falling out to reveal a bald head and I have no idea was his eye color is going to be. Right now they are darkening around the the outside and lightening in the middle.

He is awesome. More than awesome. The easiest of my 3 kids. He only gets up 1x a night. He sleeps most of the day. He only cries when he's hungry or tired. He smiles now, coos and passes out for hours. So sweet! He's not a big fan of being outside yet. We've been taking him around town, but he's fussy when we do. We took the kids and Sarah to the boardwalk one night to go on the rides and Shaun wasn't too happy with the noise and the lights. He'd rather be home sleeping.

What hasn't been easy is something called thrush. It's an infection in Shaun's mouth that spread to my breasts and has made breast feeding very VERY painful. For the first 2 weeks I thought it was Shaun's latch or something I was doing wrong. I had awful sores on my boobies and I would cringe every single time Shaun was hungry. We visited a lactation consultant and found out what it was. It's tricky to get rid of it so it's getting better, but still not gone.

Also, Noah has had a hard time handling things. He's been getting up in the middle of the night screaming for Daddy. Even though he's sleeping right next to his brother (Evan moved down from the top bunk). Also he ignored me for a week. He wanted nothing to do with me when I got home from the hospital. He only wanted Daddy and Grandmom. Sometimes he would cry when Mike left the room and I would say, "But MOMMY's here!" and he would scream bloody murder. He was fine with Shaun, but he hated me. He also has peed his pants to spite me. We got him potty trained literally a week before Shaun was born. He still wears diapers during his nap and bedtime, but he wears underpants the rest of the day, even out. He even refuses to pee in his bathing suit in the ocean. He insists on going potty. But then recently I had him in a time out and he looked at me angrily while peeing through his underwear, soaking the carpet. We've had several more accidents since then.

But things are getting better! Life with 3 kids is hard, but we're getting there. Noah is starting to love me again. He's been going potty by himself now because of necessity. Mainly because I'm always nursing and I can't get to him in time. He'll pull up the stool, stand on it, pee in the potty, flush the toilet and then not wash his hands.

"Noah have you washed your hands?"

"No."

"Please go wash your hands."

"No"

He even put the step stool potty seat on the toilet so he could poop one time. But he didn't put down the toilet seat, so the seat and his hiney fell into the toilet. Mostly he needs me or Mike there when he poops. Mostly Mike. It's the only perk of him favoring Daddy.

Evan loves LOVES his Shaun and kisses him every chance he gets. The thrush is better and we're starting to get somewhat back to normal again. We are so blessed with our new baby boy!

Here's all my guys! Just a note to everyone... There will be no more Cronin babies coming from us. 3 is the magic number and we are DONE.

0 comments: