0

Evan's Starbucks Milestones and Memories

I know this picture has nothing to do with anything, but I didn't want to have so much text without a photo.



So Evan and I ran some errands today and we decided to take a walk down Main Street, which we haven't walked in ages since we've been so busy this summer. I had him in the Bjorn, which I haven't used for a long time and was surprised at how comfortable it still is to carry his weight on the front of my body. So I started reminiscing of when he used to be so tiny that I would wear him facing my chest where he would lay his head and fall asleep as we cruised around. Alas, he's a big baby now and faces out, smiling at everyone we pass (especially the young girls). We ended up at Starbuck's, where we used to hang out all the time when he was a little peanut and the weather was cold and I needed to get out of the house. The people at this Starbucks know us. There's a sweet older woman who works there who always comments on Evan's eyes and how sweet his is. Even the dudes who work there love him. I thought back to first sign of when Evan suffered from acid reflux. I had gone to Starbucks to escape the house - tv, laundry, phone, email, etc... to just walk around and feel like a normal person after being cooped up in the house after his birth. We were tucked in the small room in the back of the store. I had brought a bottle of pumped milk along with me (that's how long ago this was... he must've been 2 months old). When he started fussing I started to feed him the bottle, he gagged and he tried again and again, then started screaming. I could tell the girl on the laptop was pissed at us. She packed up her stuff and left, so I immediately started breastfeeding Evan thinking that maybe he just wasn't feeling the bottle that day... Same deal. It was the first time that I noticed his suffering while eating. I had thought it was a fluke, but it took another month or so for me to figure out that me eating dairy was the problem. Evan's been cool now for a long time - actually since he was 3 months old, but he stopped accepting the bottle completely after the reflux stopped. Maybe because he associates the bottle with bad memories? I dunno, but it sucks for me.

Well, another monumental thing happened today in Starbucks - a good thing this time (besides the fact that Evan ate his peas today - Peas! He used to hate them!)

So anyway, the big update. We were sitting on a big purple, comfy armchair. I was sipping my soy iced coffee (I at least can eat cheese now and have an occasional ice cream, but I like soy better than dairy milk now, so I'm sticking with it). Evan was playing with his sippy cup. He was sitting up, then got down on his belly on the seat, then grabbed the arm of the chair and hoisted himself up in a STANDING position against the chair arm! He then started rooting through my diaper bag on the table, pulled out a pack of tissues and shoved them in his mouth. THE BOY PULLED HIMSELF INTO A STAND! He has been able to stand while leaning on stuff, but he has never pulled himself up before. Of course he was leaning on the arm and I'm sure it was easier to do on a squooshie surface versus a hard surface, because he's never done it at home before. He did it again, but didn't quite make it with his feet, so he was in a plank position with his feet at the bottom of the one chair arm and his hands propped up on the opposite arm - stretched out diagnally, hovering above the seat. Herules! Hercules! Tomorrow I'm going to entice him with something on the arm of the couch - like tissues - and see if he does it again! Yay!

0 comments: