0

More Texas fun



So the next day Evan was super cranky and tired so we spent the morning first buying soy milk and sunblock (can't believe I forgot it) then swimming in the pool. We then had lunch where the locals go - at the Filling Station in an old gas station off the beaten path. Not a tourist in sight and everyone knew each other. Evan and I put the old map away and tried to pretend to be cool. Then he fell off the curb, scraped his ankle and all hell broke loose. The boy was so damn tired so I immediately took him back to the hotel for a nap. He moaned the whole way there until he was in his bed.

So this is my second trip to San Antonio. My first time was with my parents and sister when Mike and I were still dating. So I'm making Mike see everything we saw back then. I dragged him to the first Catholic church in the Southwest - San Fernando. We latched onto a little tour of the church (with a wedding party who was having a rehearsal). We weren't even supposed to be there in the first place, and we were back with the group looking in the priest's closet at all of his robes when Mike's cellphone rings! It was his coworker wondering where we are. We looked so bad! Not only that, but unbeknownst to us, his coworker dropped the f-bomb in that very sacred place. Thank God he wasn't on speakerphone!

Then to El Mercado which has a couple great restaurants. It's a Mexican market and quite a walk from where we are on the river walk, plus it's so stinking hot. Like over 100 degrees hot. I think Mike (and his coworker who was meeting us there) was more than a little skeptical, but it was worth it. And now Mike wants to go back! This picture doesn't even do this side of town justice. When it got dark, the whole place lights up. There are mariachi bands, colorful stores, Spanish spoken everywhere - more Mexican than Cancun!


We ate at La Margarita with one of Mike's coworkers. Since we got to San Antonio, Evan hasn't eaten much - and now we know why. Evan and I were looking at things at El Mercado when Evan's face got serious. "Oooooh, poop." Now more desperate and I can smell it as I scoop him up "Oh- Momma. Please. Poooooop." We found some dirty toilets and I smacked down his fold-up potty seat that fits on the toilet and he let it go (there was already some in his underpants). Poor baby pooped for like 20 minutes straight and we were all very proud of him.

Evan's feeling much lighter after his poop and grooves out in one of the market buildings (which was actually closed btw). He's singing "I gotta soda! I gotta soda!" here complete with theatrics. The actual song is that Killers song that goes "I got sold, but I'm not a soldier".



The 4 of us walked back with beers in hand - beers that Mike and his coworker bought in a souvenir shop! We parted ways back to our respective hotels and Evan passed out with Elmo. He has not gone to bed before 11pm for a few days now and he's exhausted.

0 comments: