0

More Texas

Here's just one of a million restaurants along the river. This is the view from the street entrance, looking through a hallway to the river side of the place (it's the 2nd floor on the river). The hallway had rooms off of it and opened up to an enormous stone porch.
Evan and I have been exploring the street level of San Antonio more and more. Probably because it's so much easier to get around with a stroller. I had no idea how close everything in the city is if I didn't walk along the super curvy river. Close to our hotel is the King Williams district which has these beautiful, enormous Southern homes decked out with columns, some strung with white Christmas lights. Gorgeous, but I saw it at night and the whole neighborhood there was like a ghost town. The only sign of life was a toy truck on the front steps of one enormous home. No streetlights or anything. This neighborhood borders on South Town, which seems to house the artists and a bit of a counter culture. There were these great Mexican restaurants, bars, little artist studios and Key West-styled stores and homes. One was called China Latina... A Mexican sushi place! But again all closed and I was one of only a few people walking around. It seems that nobody outside of the locals really go to these little places... Everyone hangs on the river. Of course, it was about 10:30pm. I had to get out. I had put Evan to bed and he had been giving me a hard time. "Mommy, sleep with me please. Mommy sleep with me please." I'd get in bed with him and then "Go in that bed!" he pointed to my and Mike's bed next to his. So I move over to the other bed. Again "Mommy, sleep with me please. Mommy sleep with me please." Then again -"Get OUT! Go to that bed, Mommy." This went on back and forth a couple of times - I couldn't escape it and I finally snapped. "Evan, I've had it with you! I'm going for a walk!" and so I let Mike put him down and walked down to the King William district. I could hear his little voice yelling even as I got on the elevator "MOMMY - COME BACK!!!" I have to say our usually very easy going little guy has been pushed to his the limit. The 11pm bedtimes and being out all day have created these little "witching hours" which are between noon and 1pm and when we put him to bed. Around noon something little will set him off and he's inconsolable until he's down for his nap. Plus, Evan and I have been spending a lot of alone time together. We usually do anyway, but at least our week usually has playdates and time with our enormous extended family, and much MUCH more of Daddy). With so much togetherness Evan and I have had a few arguments. Imagine - arguing with a 2 year old, but yes... Evan and I are both very stubborn and we do argue.

This is funny... when I get dressed up and put on makeup Evan always notices and says "You look pretty, Mommy". or "Hot lady! Hubba hubba!" (Mike insists he didn't teach Evan "hubba, hubba". I think my sister did.). This morning I got up and Evan looked at my sleepy face and messy hair and said "You NOT look pretty, Mommy." I think he was still mad at me for taking off the night before. So I respond "I'm not pretty?" Evan says "NO, Mommy. Not pretty." So I said "Whatever, your butt stinks." He's like heeheehee!

Today we hung out at La Villita (the little village) which used to house first Spanish settlers, then later on German, Irish and Polish settlers. It's full of little galleries and a couple of places to eat.

Evan and I ate at La Guadalajara. Evan's guacamole and salsa were too spicy so I had to give him a piece of pumpkin bread I bought from Starbucks earlier in the day. He was so tired during lunch (I had to ask for the check literally 5xs!) that he lost it and started crying because I gave him too big of a bite of ice cream. When I tried to give him a teeny bite "NO! Too big. Toooo big. Tooooooo big. Whaaaaaa!" without even looking at the spoon. I tried a few more times then said "Fine, no more ice cream." to which he responded "Ice cream! Ice creeeeaaaaammmmmm!" I left the ice cream, walked up to the register with my crying boy and told them "Look. We have to leave now." I left a small tip, which the waiter looked at with disgust and got out to give Evan his nap.

Here's Evan about the time he lost it. Notice only a few other customers? I was like 'the check PLEASE!!!'

I really, really don't want to leave here. Tomorrow's our last day and it's only a half day. The only good thing about going home is that Evan will be back on his schedule.

0 comments: